Saturday, August 30, 2008

My homemade beef commercial sandwich

Rather than venture somewhere to eat one, I thought I would attempt a beef commercial at home.


I took a small pot roast and braised it in beef stock with a little bit of red wine and tomato paste and aromatic vegetable (carrots, celery, onions, garlic, fresh thyme). Simmered until tender, I strained the braising liquid, returned it to the heat and added a cornstarch slurry to thicken. I pulled and shredded the beef. I piled the meat on some nice sourdough bread with homemade mashed red potatoes in the middle and topped the whole thing with gravy.

Delicious! Wonderfully tender beef, chunky mashed potatoes, and a gravy that was lucious and rich. Admittedly, this was a little "upscale" as far as this sandwich is concerned, but that isn't worth apologizing for. The meal was fantastic.

My first beef commercial...at home!

No comments: