Saturday, August 16, 2008

Commercial Pursuits - Praha Haus Restaurant

On Saturday, I found myself in the decidedly Czech community of New Prague, MN. There, I dined at a restaurant that served up a tasty beef commercial.

Praha Haus Family Restaurant
208 4th Ave Sw

New Prague, MN

The Praha Haus is a family-style restaurant that serves up a lot Czech inspired fare. I had breakfast at this restaurant last month and discovered the wonder that is the kolacky.

But there are also plenty of American classics, too. And since they had a beef commercial on the menu, that is what I would be ordering! (Worth noting, they serve a "pork commercial" as well, so there are also meat variations of this sandwich. It is also not uncommon to see "turkey commercials," too. But, back to the topic at hand!)

After only my second pursuit of the beef commercial sandwich, different styles are already emerging.

The beef commercial sandwich at the Praha Haus Family Restaurant


The Praha Haus version was more of of the beef commercial consists of two sandwiches served on white Texas toast-style bread. The beef was thinly sliced and mounded in between the bread (not served "open-faced," in other words). A mound of homemade mashed potatoes sits in between the sandwiches. Beef gravy covers the whole dish. This is very much a classic presentation.

The bread served as great sopping material for the flavorful, lighter colored beef gravy. The shaved, slow-roasted beef was delicious, moist, and tender. Obviously, the mashed potatoes were homemade, as they were rustic and slightly chunky with the skins included. This was one hearty dish, and a relative bargain at $7.99. I very much enjoyed this sandwich.

While there are only four essential ingredients, I have already seen this served in vastly different presentation styles when compared to the commercial I had at Sunni's Grille in Howard Lake. I had not considered that there could be some variety involved with these sandwiches, and this is proving to make my pursuits all the more interesting to me.

On to the next...

Yours in gravy,

Jean

No comments: